Wednesday, October 3, 2007

We Bomb Opening for Sister Hazel

The crowd waiting for Sister Hazel, that was eager for me to get off stage.


I had been badly shaken on stage and wasn't sure I even wanted to be a performer. Sam and I had opened for Sister Hazel at Ziggy's in April and everything that could go wrong, did. I had been stuck at work, Sam wasn't allowed to drive and didn't make it to the sound check.


I sort of treated Sam like a Mama on stage I realized later. I expected him to fix everything and make it right. He tried so hard that night and the crowd loved him despite feedback, mikes and guitars going dead. I froze and ran off the stage without another word.


I hate myself now. I told Sam he looked like a rodeo clown. I could tell it hurt his feelings, but I was too busy crying in the green room. The crowd had looked like rows and rows of sharp teeth, I had bombed, and I didn't know if I even wanted to be a performer.