Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What I Said At Sam's Memorial


Sam, Sam, Sam.
Sam is the only person I’ve ever seen grinning from the back of a police car. He had been pulled over because he was “acting strange.” He’s always like that! I cried. That’s Sam. Sam Moss! They took him downtown anyway.

I spent a few hours pacing in the grim surroundings of the magistrate’s office at midnight, cursing the Justice System, worried sick about Sam in such a place. Finally I was allowed back to sign papers for his release.

I saw Sam before he saw me. I watched him, loving him, because there he was, so so Sam, laughing, talking and entertaining all his new friends, the policemen, the magistrate, the office workers, managing to gesticulate even in his handcuffs. I had to pull him away from his new friends. Sam! I said. Come back! Do you have Stockholm’s Syndrome? Oh they’re good cats, says Sam. They’re just doing their job.
Give Sam lemons and he would make martinis.

Sam was my best friend, my mentor, my musical partner, my bandmate, and we were in and out of a crazy romance.
The Sams was a natural name for our band. Doug, Dave and I were very proud of our stripes, having made it through Sam’s bootcamp, his Sgt. Carter peptalks, and what we called “the look” which we tried to avoid. They don’t call me Moss the Boss for nothing he’d say.

Sam was big. He had big hair, a big heart, big talent, a big spirit and a big presence. He laughed because I could never ride in a car with him without the windows down even if it was 10 degrees outside. He may have looked like a scrawny bag of bones but he was just so so big.

I want to remember Sam not for his death but for his life.
I want to remember the glow in his eyes, his excitement, his child-like enthusiasm, his lust for life, his pep talks, his nimble fingers, , how he inspired my children, myself my bandmates, and anyone who wanted to learn.
I want to remember how he loved us, all of us, each and every one.

Sail Away by KD Rouse
( I sang the first few verses acapella to Sam at his Memorial)

In the still of the night there is thunder
The heartbeat of a solitary man
He lies awake listening in wonder to the sounds that only he can understand.

He’s got his gun, his 30 year old whiskey
One by one he counts the reasons why
To some existence is a question
Every day just fighting to get by

Sail away Sail away
Through heaven’s gate
Til you are wakened by the dawn
Sail away Sail away
It’s not too late
The night bird calls and then it’s gone

In the still of the night may you remember
All the lonely hours you have lived
Reach out your hand to your weary brother
Show him that there’s so much more to give

Sail away Sail away
Through heaven’s gate
Til you are wakened by the dawn
Sail away Sail away
It’s not too late
The night bird calls and then it’s gone