Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Sam Moss of Winston Salem, NC Lives on Through His Music

It is just like me to write blogs, write a lot even, and then abandon them, then forget about them. I just happened to google my name to see if I could find something I could call an art website and happened upon this site like a stranger seeing it for the first time. In this way, my life is full of (mostly) fun surprises! Like I will go to the kitchen to fix myself a cup of tea, and there it is waiting for me, like magic! 

Since I have always been this way, how will my loved ones know if I develop dementia? I asked them and no one said a peep. 

My last entry was 17 years ago, the year my indescribable friend Sam Moss took his life. The good news is that this happened:

"A larger-than-life character, Moss astounded local audiences in his club appearances, yet he never released a record in his lifetime. So producer Chris Stamey was thrilled to discover, in 2020, on the end of an old tape, forgotten masters of Blues Approved, a spectacular Stax – and Muscle Shoals–influenced solo record, made with Mitch Easter in 1977. This “great lost” record reveals that Moss was also a soulful songwriter and singer. It has now been carefully remixed and produced for release, with a deluxe booklet featuring detailed liner notes and bio, session notes by Easter, and lots of vivid color photos."  from the American Blues Scene

Listen to the premiere track from the album Blues Approved by 

Sam Moss: Rooster Blood here.


If you are interested, this is the 

SAM MOSS TRAILER—"Blues Approved" Great Lost Album